Reasons Rey is a Skywalker
1. Kathleen Kennedy said the Saga Films would Focus on the Skywalkers
Kathleen Kennedy back in 2015 said the Skywalker family would be the focus of the Saga films, the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. She explicitly said The Force Awakens follows those films, and therefore implies The Last Jedi and Episode IX will be a part of those films.(These movies are hereafter referred to together as the current trilogy). In the statement she uses words like family and generational. This has always put in my head that there should be a Skywalker name in these movies, a live person, the “hero” of these films.
Now I know what you’re thinking. It’s probably something like:
a. Luke Skywalker is in these movies. He counts!
– He kind of does. But really he doesn’t. The current trilogy combines honoring the original three, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, and bringing a new generation in, with characters they can relate to. The new characters are the focus of the trilogy, just like Anakin was the focus of the story in the prequel trilogy, and Luke was the focus of the original trilogy. The current trilogy has primarily focused on the growth and development of two characters. Rey, and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. Which brings me to the next point you might be thinking of:
b. Ben Solo is the child of Leia and Han! Leia’s the child of Anakin Skywalker and Luke’s sister. He’s a Skywalker!
– Noooo. He’s not. He’s a Solo. Not a Skywalker. You might ask me what does it matter? The blood is still there. It matters. I’m telling you. What’s in a name, what’s in a name. It’s where you come from. I will give this theory some credit below though, even though I’m not a fan. This is covered under Kennedy’s usage of the word ‘family’, so it could be allowable.You might could see generational, but if you look below, at the bullet point, it states relating to different generations of a particular family. In this case, that particular family is the Skywalker family; Ben is not directly in the Skywalker line, sooooo that’s my argument there. (This is pulled from typing ‘generational’ into Google incase you were curious).
c. The Skywalker name just dies with Luke! It had to happen eventually!
– I’ll cover this below
d. REY! Rey’s a Skywalker!
– Well yes. This is why we’re here. This allows Lucasfilm to play to the ‘family’ and ‘generational’ words Kennedy uses. This is the most obvious solution to continuing the Skywalker family, I will admit it. But it is vital to have a third Skywalker to me. It’s definitely the biggest symbol, the sagas have all been trilogies, each trilogy in it of itself is part of a trilogy.
2. Rey was Already Gifted
This has been a controversial topic. Rey has been called a Mary Sue by multiple outlets, and multiple people over social media. I mean come on? Who can pilot a hunk of junk like the Millenium Falcon when they’ve never been off world before? Sure there are simulations, and speeders, but space is different. If you take a look at Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, both were gifted pilots, before, and after they left Tatooine. They both were gifted mechanically as well, and so is Rey. Gifts tend to run in the family, and since I’m going to assume Force connection is a gift, Rey could have inherited her Force sensitivity from Luke.
There are multiple powerful Jedi, but I believe in coincidences! And this is too big of one to let go.
3. What Kylo said was False…
Besides, why would just anyone drop a child off on a planet, by themselves, in the darkest corner of the galaxy? There could definitely be a factor where Luke, or the mom dropped her off on the planet to protect her, intending to return after a horrible battle, and they gave Unkar Plutt a steady flow of credits for a time, and he protected Rey. But when the credits stopped flowing, he turned her loose, and quit standing up for her.
Reasons Rey is not a Skywalker
1. What Kylo said was True..
I just argued above that what he said was false, I know. But in all likelihood, what he said was true. He, and Snoke could have had research done on her, found out who really dropped her on that planet. It’s 100% possible, and Kylo wanted her to see the truth, and Rey refused to accept it, hence why she got all angry.
It’s the unexpected thing to do, and I can totally see Kathleen Kennedy leading JJ Abrams, and Rian through the story idea, letting her be independent, and growing her own story. Breaking free from the Skywalkers, we could see Rey be the hero we idealized in Luke, and putting a common theme throughout Star Wars, be your own hero.