Blues Brothers 2000 should have never happened. Period. It’s an uninspired rehash of one of the great 80s comedies. There is nothing new here; thus, there was no reason for revisiting the titular brothers. Oh, and lest we forget that one of them—John Belushi—tragically passed away in 1982.
Without his oversized and all-consuming personality, there is an undeniable void that’s never filled. The magic is gone. And no matter how many fake brothers you insert into the mix, it’s not going to matter—particularly when the actors are stripped of most of their charm and charisma.
John Goodman has never been less magnetic than he is here as “Mighty” Mack McTeer. Did Dan Aykroyd and John Landis—the co-writers/star and director—just refuse to see The Big Lebowski? How could they underutilize him this horrifically?
Well, suffice to say, our rage was shared by audiences. Blues Brothers 2000 carries a 37% user score on Rotten Tomatoes (slightly worse than its 46% with critics). And it grossed just $14.05 million on a budget of $31 million.
In the end, unlike its predecessor, this one should have existed solely as a Saturday Night Live skit.
So sit back, boost your confidence with a Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co., and go looking for a fox! I, the Thunderous Wizard (@WriterTLK), Capt. Cash, Chumpzilla, and Mayor McCheese are still trying to fathom just how Aykroyd fit into the dashboard of that car!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – Beyond Aykroyd wanting to jam with some Blues legends, why does this movie exist? (00:00)
- Lingering Questions – There are certainly many, but among them: What musical legend would we most like to hang out with?
- Trivia Works in Mysterious Ways – Capt. Cash challenges the field to Blues Brothers-themed trivia. (57:31)
- Recommendations – We offer our picks for the week, and next up in “Hops and Saturday Night Flops,” MacGruber! (1:13:05)
The post Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘BLUES BROTHERS 2000 – We’re on a Mission from Pod’ appeared first on Revenge of The Fans.
- Hops and Box Office Flops: IF LOOKS COULD KILL – Grieco: Far from Home - February 23, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT– This Movie is Pain - February 17, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: WAYNE’S WORLD 2 – We’re Putting on a Podcast … Oh Yes - February 10, 2021