The Wonder Woman movie is finally set to begin production next month in London, so we should hear some official news soon. In the meantime, we have a new rumor that may reveal a ton of details, courtesy of JoBlo. Who exactly will Diana Prince be fighting in the film? When does it take place? How will the movie connect to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice? And which Justice League member will make a cameo? All that and more below.
- JoBlo reaffirms that Wonder Woman takes place in two different time periods: World War I and the Modern Day. However, it will mostly be set in the present day, with a little bit of WW1. Sounds like this is similar to the 2009 animated Wonder Woman movie. Also, according to the site, the film will fully embrace the comic’s mythological elements. And yes, the Invisible Jet will feature, but not “consistently.”
- Another reaffirmation: The main villains are Ares and Circe, with the former described as a puppet master pulling the strings. Ares will wear his classic Greek hoplite/Roman gladiator armor, while Circe will wear a purple suit. Sean Bean and Eva Green have been rumored for these roles, though their involvement has yet to be confirmed.
- Additionally, the movie will feature many mythological creatures. Ares unleashes an army of beasts – described as red or green with horns and wings – in an attempt to kill Wonder Woman and stop her from defeating Circe. Speaking of Circe, the sorceress will embody a Chimera-like beast in the final battle.
- As for Wonder Woman‘s plot, the film is said to focus on Diana Prince and Steve Trevor, in the present day, trying to stop Circe. Circe, with the help of Ares, is trying to start World War III by manipulating high government officials. At some point, Diana’s prior defeat of Ares in World War I will be explained, but it is unknown if this will be depicted in flashbacks or just shown early in the movie.
- Finally, how does Wonder Woman tie into the greater DC Extended Universe? According to JoBlo, the movie will take place several months before the events of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, where Diana first appears. Additionally, when Diana is fighting Ares’ army and saving civilian lives, none other than Batman is said to be watching, establishing his presence in the film. He then approaches Wonder Woman after the finale, creating a relationship that will be seen in Dawn of Justice. It is unknown if Ben Affleck will reprise the role here, but given his big commitment to the DCEU Batman so far, it wouldn’t be surprising.
Overall, a lot of interesting details here. However, this is still just a rumor, so take it with a pinch of salt until we receive official confirmation. Stay tuned for more as we have it.
Wonder Woman is scheduled to hit theaters June 23rd, 2017. The fourth installment in the DC Extended Universe stars Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. Patty Jenkins directs from a script by Jason Fuchs.