Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, which is a sequel to the 2007 original, is so insane it almost works. Nicolas Cage, the Rider or Johnny Blaze, goes full Cage. It’s equal parts glorious and dumbfounding.
That is the movie in a nutshell. For everything that works—such as the Rider possessing humongous construction equipment—there are far too many other elements that do not.
From the dude from Empire Records overacting literally every piece of dialogue to Idris Elba’s mindbogglingly bad French accent, there are just far too many palm face moments.
That said, it is better than the first—despite what the reviews (18% on Rotten Tomatoes with 114 reviews) and the box office ($132.6 million) may indicate. And, it does feature a whole lot of the Rider murdering bad dudes in all sorts of fire-induced ways. As viewers, that’s something we can all get behind.
So, sit back, absolve your sins with a Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewing Co., and sign a blood-soaked deal with the Devil! I, the Thunderous Wizard (@WriterTLK), Capt. Cash, Chumpzilla, and Mayor McCheese are scraping at the door!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – Was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance able to make amends for its disastrous 2007 predecessor? (00:00)
- Lingering Questions – We hear from our beer bros. at Hop Nation USA, and then Mayor McCheese poses some questions to the crew. (1:07:53)
- The Trivia Challenge – Mayor McCheese challenges the field to a series of trivia questions—some relating to the movie and others to unhealthy snack foods. (1:19:50)
- Recommendations – After a word from our pals at The Double Turn Podcast, we offer our picks for the week; and next up: it’s finally here! Zack Snyder’s fabled Justice League premiered March 18, and we’re taking a deep dive into its four hours of superhero team up action. (1:28:14)
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘PACIFIC RIM – A Jaeger Bomb’ - April 16, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: GODZILLA VS KONG – Coming to a Universal Studios Near You - April 9, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: HULK – The Incredible Sulk - April 2, 2021