Itchy, but Not So Tasty
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is the seventh live-action iteration of the storied video game franchise. Sadly, like its predecessors, it fails to live up to the legacy of the series.
Yes, folks, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is yet another uninspired video game adaptation. But unlike the Paul W.S. Anderson saga, this at least sticks close to the source material.
Raccoon City is a reboot, carrying no connection to the insipid six that came before it. In fact, it is essentially a narrative retelling of the first two games. In principle, that sounds like a good idea, but there’s a reason there were two of them. This film can never find the right balance between the horrors of the Spencer Mansion and the panic-inducing labyrinth that is the titular city’s police station.
In effect, it shortchanges them both; and through its slavish devotion to the games, it also shoehorns in far too much—including the cringe-worthy dialogue that was a hallmark of the series’ early years.
Listen, I also hate W.S. Anderson’s movies, but at least they made money. Raccoon City—certainly hindered by the ongoing pandemic—grossed just $41.9 million on a budget of $25 million. Critics had little appetite for it either. At 31% on Rotten Tomatoes with 84 reviews, it falls somewhere within the median of its predecessors. Not great.
Anyway, sit back, have a tasty (and itchy?) Undead Party Crasher from Clown Shoes Beer, and don’t trust Wesker! I, the Thunderous Wizard (@WriterTLK), Capt. Cash, Mayor McCheese, and Chumpzilla are heading to the ophthalmologist to have our blood eyes examined!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – Witness the beginning of evil! (00:00)
- Lingering Questions – After a word from our brothers in beer at Hop Nation USA, we discuss our perfect Resident Evil adaptation. (42:04)
- The “T-Virus” Trivia Challenge – The Double Turn Podcast gets mauled by a licker, and then I challenge the field to trivia about the series of games. (1:07:57)
- Recommendations – We offer our picks for the week and next up: We continue “Hops and Pandemic Flops” with Annihilation! (1:18:22)
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE’ - May 17, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT’ - May 9, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘MANDY’ - April 29, 2022