Not Worth the Bargain
Black Friday is like if someone took Dawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, and The Mist, threw them all in a blender, but somehow removed any of the ingredients that made those films so memorable.
Biting social criticism? Well, it is there; it just doesn’t work. Humor and over the top, practical gore? Both are in far too short supply. Dramatic tension? Sorry, there are no real scares to speak of.
This one, folks, is dead on arrival. And even if it is available for a mega sale, it’s not worth the bargain.
Somehow, though, critics did not eviscerate it like one of the insatiable mutants would an unsuspecting stock boy. With 19 reviews, it sits at 63% on Rotten Tomatoes. The public, however, wasn’t buying it. They can smell a cheap knockoff. They land at a 35%. Seems fair to me.
Now, sit back, crack open a Galactica West Coast IPA from Clown Shoes Beer, and stay out of the Christmas Village! I, the Thunderous Wizard (@WriterTLK), Chumpzilla, and Mayor McCheese are strapping on some roller skates to escape a horde of unruly and parasite-ravaged shoppers!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – Don’t let the holidays eat you alive! (00:00)
- Lingering Questions – After a word from our brothers in beer at Hop Nation USA, we discuss whether any item could draw us out for Black Friday shopping. (23:43)
- The “Suburban Savages” Trivia Challenge – The Double Turn Podcast uses a toy truck as a foreign object, and then I challenge the field to trivia about the movie. (37:02)
- Recommendations – We offer our picks for the week and next up: We start “Hops and Cage Match Flops” with Willy’s Wonderland! (45:24)
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE’ - May 17, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT’ - May 9, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘MANDY’ - April 29, 2022