5. Batman/Thomas Wayne
When I first heard Hanks say that he wanted to play Batman, I first laughed a little considering it felt no way that would work, even if you were 10-20 years younger. But then I think back to Michael Keaton and the great job he did with the role (although that persona was Bruce). I say Thomas because I think the persona of Thomas Hanks him better, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we someday get a Flashpoint movie of some sort.
4. Lex Luthor Yes, I know what you might be thinking. Has Tom Hanks even played a villain? As far as I know, no he has not. But that doesn’t mean that he shouldn’t do it before he retires from acting. With the enormous amount of charisma the man has, I think playing someone like Lex Luthor would fit Hanks perfectly. Lex Luthor (for me) has always been about the brains and never the brawn, after all. It could be an interesting change of pace in his list of roles he played. (PS. I do enjoy Jesse Eisenberg in the role, so calm your senses.)
3. Charles Xavier Let’s face it. No matter how much I dislike the idea, X-Men is going to be rebooted yet again (except for Deadpool apparently), this time inside the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But since it will, why not suggest Tom Hanks for the role of Professor X? Charles Xavier’s mannerism and character traits are something that fit Hanks’ acting range and image well.
The character I’m talking about is the protagonist in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman. If you haven’t read that story, order it as the first thing you do after you have read this article. The comic book is a masterpiece. The character of Dream is the personification of “dreams” that have wandered around since pretty much the beginning of existence. He is one of the most complex characters I have ever come across in fictional writing, and Tom Hanks could easily pull it off.
Honorable Mention: Doctor Octopus Doctor Octopus is pretty much the same reason as Lex Luthor. I would love to see Hanks play a villain at some point, be it Marvel or DC, and as far as my knowledge of Marvel villains goes, I do think he could be an excellent Doctor Octavius.
1. Jay Garrick Even though I’m on board to have Tom Hanks in a comic book role, his age (which, as of this writing, is 62) is, unfortunately, an issue no matter how you slice it. However, this is where Jay Garrick comes in. The “original Flash” before Barry and his family got introduced to comic book readers. Considering Jay Garrick has always been portrayed as an older man, be it live action or animation, I find this to be a perfect part for him, especially when he mentions Jay Garrick specifically in the interview. (He also looks like him in some versions, in my opinion.)
But what do you think? Who would you cast Tom Hanks as? Comment below and let us know, or tweet at us at @WOBAMEnt.
- Star Wars Visions Review – Anime is Exactly What The Galaxy Needed - September 28, 2021
- REVIEW: Neo: The World Ends With You (Nintendo Switch) - September 27, 2021
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Review – Deku and Shigaraki Level-Up - September 27, 2021