Following the success of Runaways, Marvel Television and Hulu are expanding their partnership in a big way. The two have announced a slate of adult animated shows. There will be four ongoing shows and a special animated event – a deal that doesn’t sound too different from the original Marvel/Netflix deal.
- Howard the Duck sees everyone’s favorite duck trapped in a new world. He must team up with his gal pal Beverly to escape from the villainous Dr. Bong. Kevin Smith and Will Davis are writing.
- M.O.D.O.K. focuses on the Marvel villain struggling to maintain control of his organization and his family. This is written by Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum.
- Hit Monkey sees a Japanese snow monkey seek vengeance with the help of the ghost of an American assassin. Josh Gordon and Will Peck are writing.
- Tigra & Dazzler Show focuses on two woke superheroes who fight for recognition in Los Angeles. This one is written by Chelsea Handler and Erica Rivinoja.
- Finally, all five heroes will unite in The Offenders, a special animated event. No writers have been hired at this time.
This marks Marvel’s second major TV deal, after its landmark Netflix contract in 2013. And the Hulu deal sounds very similar. On Netflix, Marvel released four shows, before bringing them together for The Defenders. Unfortunately, most of these shows have been cancelled, with the remaining two – Jessica Jones and The Punisher – expected to be axed too.
On the other hand, Marvel and Hulu have had a healthier relationship. This is partly due to Disney having a majority stake in the service. So, this is an opportunity for Marvel to continue telling more adult-oriented stories.
Most of these characters have appeared in various Marvel animated projects over the years. Most prominently, Howard the Duck had his own live action movie in 1986. Additionally, the character made two cameos in the Guardians of the Galaxy film series.
Stay tuned for more news as we have it.