Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a cinematic anomaly. When Snyder had to step away due to a family tragedy, Warner Bros. (WB) essentially hacked the material he left them to bits. Under the guidance of Joss Whedon, Snyder’s originally footage was morphed into a soulless attempt to capture the magic of the MCU.
It didn’t work—a topic we explored in-depth on our Joss-Stache League episode. That film appealed to no one, but it particularly riled those faithful to Snyder’s vision. Thus, #ReleaseTheSnyderCut was born—a fan movement spawned from the betrayal many felt the studio had committed.
Make no mistake, folks, this movie is a whole new beast. From Steppenwolf’s arc to Darkseid’s ominous presence to the return of the Knightmare world, it’s the sequel fans of Snyder’s work were promised as the credits rolled on Batman v Superman.
And at four hours, it literally crams as much of what he shot in as possible. Heck, Snyder even managed to shoot a couple of new scenes, despite WB’s insistence he could not.
Love his vision or hate it—as some members of the pod do—this is a movie that warrants your attention. It’s a win for the fans who fought hard—both in supporting Snyder and for the cause of suicide prevention and awareness; and it’s a win for artistic integrity.
Most important, though, it’s a movie that he lovingly crafted and dedicated to his daughter Autumn, whose suicide led to him walking away in March of 2017.
So, sit back, open a Boom Tube to your tastebuds with a Galactic Cowboy Imperial Nitro Stout from Left Hand Brewing, and initiate the Unity! I, the Thunderous Wizard (@WriterTLK), Capt. Cash, Chumpzilla, and Mayor McCheese are taking turns sniffing Jason Mamoa’s sweater!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – With four plus hours of runtime, how different was Zack Snyder’s Justice League from Whedon’s disastrous theatrical cut? (00:00)
- Spoiler Alert at 12:22
- Lingering Questions – We hear from our beer bros. at Hop Nation USA, and then I pose some quick fire questions to the crew. Will the Snyderverse live on? (1:15:51)
- The Trivia Challenge – I challenge the field to a series of trivia questions about the actors portraying our favorite heroes. (1:36:02)
- Recommendations – After a word from our pals at The Double Turn Podcast, we offer our picks for the week; and next up: It’s the final entry in our “Hops and Heroic Flops” series, Ang Lee’s Hulk. (1:45:36)
If you are battling depression and in need of helpful resources, or to simply donate to a worthwhile cause, please visit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP).
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘PACIFIC RIM – A Jaeger Bomb’ - April 16, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: GODZILLA VS KONG – Coming to a Universal Studios Near You - April 9, 2021
- Hops and Box Office Flops: HULK – The Incredible Sulk - April 2, 2021