The movie’s website officially launched today. While it doesn’t have too much, it has a plot synopsis that teases Arthur Curry’s origin and more. To check out the site, click HERE.
Additionally, various sites visited the set of Aquaman last year, and today, they’re sharing what they learned about the movie. Here, we’ll share some highlights from Collider‘s article, which offers a lot of new details on the movie.
- As said before, Aquaman takes place after Justice League. However, it is very much a standalone film, focused solely on Arthur and the world of Atlantis. Speaking of, two-thirds of the entire movie will be taking place under water.
- Director James Wan was offered the chance to do any DC character, and he chose Aquaman because he’s a brand new character. He also made it clear that he wanted to make this movie his way and differently from past DC films. As for Aquaman’s role in Justice League, Wan worked with that movie’s crew on what they can do and what Wan wanted to reveal. This is why we barely saw Atlantis.
- Aquaman intends to be an “extremely” faithful adaptation. Producer Peter Safran explains that the New 52 comics were a huge influence on the movie. “The New 52 version of Aquaman was definitely our touchstone and our starting point…. in terms of his origin, who he is, that Tom Curry is his father and Atlanna is his mother, who Orm is, etc. That all comes from the New 52. And, there are certainly creature elements from it, like the Trench. So, that was our biggest influence.” The New 52 offered some of the best Aquaman material ever, and writer Geoff Johns is heavily involved with the movie. So, this isn’t too surprising.
- King Orm’s main motivation is the way that the surface world has treated the ocean – humans taking fossil fuels, putting acid raid in the waters, etc. Thus, Orm breaks Atlantis’ treaty with the humans. He wants to unite the seven kingdoms of Atlantis – Trench, Brine, Xebellian, Fisherman, an unnamed kingdom, and the Atlanteans – to become the “Ocean Master” and invade the surface world.
- Black Manta plays a small but key role in the movie, and if there is a sequel, he’ll have a bigger role to play. (Maybe he’ll join the Legion of Doom?) He will also wear two suits, and he has an integral connection to Orm.
- Arthur will “probably” wear his classic orange and green outfit by the movie’s end, where he’s now the Aquaman that we all know and love.
Aquaman is scheduled to hit theaters December 21st. The sixth installment in the DC Films Universe stars Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe, Temuera Morrison, Dolph Lundgren, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Ludi Lin, Patrick Wilson, and Nicole Kidman. James Wan directs from a script by Will Beall and David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick.
Latest posts by Paul Romano (see all)
- CAPTAIN MARVEL on Track for Big $100 Million Opening Weekend - February 14, 2019
- BATMAN VS. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Animated Movie Announced - February 14, 2019
- AQUAMAN Sequel Moving Forward with Screenwriter - February 12, 2019