Sony showcased Venom and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse at San Diego Comic-Con last night, and while no footage was released online, plenty of interesting new information was shared. Comic Book was among the outlets in attendance, and below is a rundown of highlights from the site’s coverage…
- As previously reported, Nicolas Cage is voicing Spider-Man Noir in Into the Spider-Verse. Additionally, new footage from the film reveals Peni Parker (Komiko Glenn) and her giant robot, as well as Spider-Ham (John Mulaney).
- Producer Phil Lord said that when he and Chris Miller were approached about doing a Spider-Man animated movie, they said it had to be about Miles Morales. Part of that is to put a fresh new spin on the story, while Miles is a very important character.
- Moving on to Venom, Sony showed off plenty of new footage from that. It includes Venom eating a man’s head and creating ax hands with the Symbiote.
- Riz Ahmed’s Carlton Drake will assume a Symbiote form of his own as the villain Riot. Director Ruben Fleischer teases that the film may or may not have other villains, while the plan is to build out Venom’s world with these characters.
- As for whether Venom will ever meet Spider-Man, Fleischer sounds very optimistic. “I think we can all agree it would be pretty amazing to see Spider-Man and Venom face off in a film. I have to think that the studio is thinking the same way and at some point down the road they’re gonna run across each other’s paths.” Tom Hardy agrees, saying that he really wants to go toe-to-toe with Tom Holland.