Our Way or the Highway
Road House is everything an action movie should be. Its premise is over the top, its plot is utterly nonsensical, and none of the people involved seem to be aware of it.
Starring Patrick Swayze, who was fresh off of Dirty Dancing, Road House presents the all too relatable plot of: What if you’re a doorman in a small town run by a vengeful crook? Well, if you’re Dalton (Swayze), you beat the snot out of a lot of people while wearing pleated pants and billowy linen shirts.
That’s Road House in a nut shell. Brad Wesley—played by a scenery chewing Ben Gazzara—makes it his personal mission to destroy Dalton’s life, as well as the Double Deuce’s business prospects. Why? Who the hell knows. And it’s better to just not ask.
We’re here to watch Dalton and his mentor Wade Garrett (Sam Elliot) dish out beatings to Wesley’s cronies. And Road House relishes delivering them!
This Week’s Segments:
- Introduction/Plot Breakdown – The dancing is over. Now, it gets dirty! (00:00)
- Lingering Questions – We hear from our brothers in beer at Hop Nation USA and then debate which of us would fare the best in the mayhem of the Double Deuce. (34:13)
- The “Pain Don’t Hurt” Trivia Challenge – The Double Turn Podcast breaks a table with Terry Funk, and then I challenge the field to trivia about the movie. (48:57)
- Recommendations – We offer our picks for the week and next up: We continue “Hops and Hometown Flops” on the rivers of Pittsburgh with Striking Distance! (57:55)
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE’ - May 17, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT’ - May 9, 2022
- Hops and Box Office Flops: ‘MANDY’ - April 29, 2022