Despite releasing the long-awaited teaser trailer (touting its Valentines Day 2019 date) less than two days ago, 20th Century Fox has once again delayed the next X-Men movie, Dark Phoenix.
The film will now hit theaters on June 7th, 2019. This puts it right in the heart of the summer, which – based on the competition – may not be the wisest bet. But, Fox is hoping that the move will lead to the film being a bigger hit in China. No exact reason was given for the delay beyond that, but the movie has been undergoing reshoots, which are said to be extensive. So, this gives them extra time to do that.
This is just the first of several new changes on Fox’s schedule. Hang tight….
- An “Untitled Deadpool Movie” has been scheduled for December 21st, 2018. Yes, this year. Apparently, this is a PG-13 version of Deadpool 2. How and why they’re doing this is unclear. This date is also reserved by Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Holmes & Watson.
- Previously scheduled for the December 21st date was Alita: Battle Angel, which will now hit theaters on February 14th, 2019. This then results in Dark Phoenix‘s delay. Fox wants Alita to be the first movie of the Chinese New Year, and it’s already in perfect VFX shape. This also moves the film away from the packed December competition.
- Gambit has been pushed back yet again, too. The film has notoriously been delayed over and over again, due to difficulties with keeping a director. Its new date is March 13th, 2020. We’ll see how long this one lasts.
- 5 Characters We Want to See in SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE Sequel - May 27, 2020
- 5 More Nintendo Mobile Games We Want to See - May 22, 2020
- 5 Guest Characters We Want to See in MORTAL KOMBAT - May 21, 2020